sweet judy

Today my friend Judy died.

She was a giver. A first-order, drop-everything, be there with a smile on her face, lend a hand, giver.

Judy was full of laughter. She was kind. She was funny. She was feisty. She wasn’t afraid to get her hands dirty. She spent her days at work helping people out and her time out of work helping people out. And it was never a strain; this was just who she was, a giver.

This completely unfair life left Judy with a brain tumor just weeks after she retired; she spent the remainder of her retirement fighting for her life until today when she passed on while surrounded by her beloved husband, children and others in their family.

When I think of Judy, she’s making a cheeky comment and cracking up. She’s finding the good in the most ordinary of moments.

So life isn’t fair. But it sure is full of amazing people.

I want to make sure that I make the most of every ordinary moment I have with the amazing people in my life.

Sometimes that’s doing something incredible together. Sometimes it’s a quick phone call or a check-in email. Sometimes it’s a full-on snugglefest complete with Thai food or movies or TV reruns of cop shows. Sometimes it’s a yoga date or a group at dinner or just sitting together in silence. Sometimes it’s boisterous laughter or planning a trip or taking a long walk at the reservoir. Sometimes it’s hijacking someone from their regular routine for a glass of wine on the couch while ignoring the kids or driving to Ikea or sitting together knitting. Sometimes it’s doing a whole lot of nothing but being happy with the people that I love.

Our time here is precious and it is not promised to us.

Life is better when you give. It’s better when you laugh. It’s better when you live it up and when you surround yourself with amazing people.

And most of all, life is better when you love with your whole heart.

Rock on, Judy. xoxo

Advertisements

22 Comments (+add yours?)

1. Ana
    Feb 13, 2012 @ 21:57:47

Absolutely beautiful thoughts. Thanks for sharing

2. Aunt Molly
    Feb 13, 2012 @ 22:30:23

I lost a friend, Judith, one month ago today to a brain tumor. She too was a giver, a woman who left a legacy of peace and giving. She inspired me through her living and her strength and peace in dying. I’m sorry about your friend, Judy. I love you Susannah!

3. amy
    Feb 13, 2012 @ 22:44:21

love you…

4. Michael McGlamery
    Feb 13, 2012 @ 23:10:21

Nice tribute Susannah. LITB…
    I love you!

5. Gail
    Feb 14, 2012 @ 07:34:31

What a beautifully written sentiment. Sometimes we need to be reminded that we need to make the most of every ‘ordinary’ moment because time is precious. I am so sorry for your loss.
    ~ Gail

6. kate
    Feb 14, 2012 @ 07:50:23

i love you sweetie. sorry for your loss.
    what a beautiful tribute

7. Carla Ten Eyck
    Feb 14, 2012 @ 07:54:30

what a beautiful and thoughtfully written tribute to a friend. I am so lucky to have someone like you in my life!! thank you for the reminder to enjoy the ordinary XO

8. Anne Bisenius
    Feb 14, 2012 @ 11:05:29

Beautifully stated, Susannah. I am stunned by this sad news of a spirit taken much too soon. Yet I am so blessed to have been a witness to Judy’s grace and generosity. Hers was truly a life well lived.

9. Dort
    Feb 14, 2012 @ 15:26:38

Hugs and kisses to you! This is a great post for all of us to ponder. I am grateful that you are in my life.

10. Justin
    Feb 14, 2012 @ 16:23:42

Beautiful tribute Susannah. Judy was a shining light in this world. She truly will be missed. You are in my head and in my heart, as are Snyder family and all whom she touched.
    Love you Saide.
    LOVE is the best.

11. Sara
    Feb 15, 2012 @ 09:13:42

Thank you Susannah. My memories of her as a teenager are exactly as you describe. Please pass my condolences on to Art and her entire family. Although they don’t know me personally I would want them to know she was a special flame in my Woodstock family.

share your insights, ideas and inspiration!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s