ms. fat booty

I need a personal drill-sergeant.

I need a relentless voice who will reach through my alarm clock, shake me awake and stay up in my face until I take some serious action.

Two mornings in a row I have set my alarm for 5:30 with the great intention of waking up, working out and feeling like a fabulous hot mama for the rest of the day. Instead, for two mornings in a row, I have hit the snoozer every ten minutes for an hour and spent the rest of the day cursing myself for being a lazy sloth.

Years ago, without a drill-sergeant, I hiked in high altitudes to Machu Picchu for hours and hours, steep mountain passes and treacherous down-hill climbs, all the while marveling at how incredible it was that my body could do this, that my body had brought me to such a beautiful place. Maybe it was altitude-delirium, but I remember being able to see myself, as if I was outside of my own body, hiking along a narrow pass, in total awe that the person doing this was me: complete mind-body-spirit balance-bliss.

The whole mind-body-spirit thing is completely out of whack for me right now.

I take care of my spirit like it’s my job: I surround myself with great people, I rest when I need to, I write, I meditate, I knit, I laugh and carry on and make sure that my soul is well-fed.

I take good care of my mind: I work in an environment that challenges me, I take classes to push myself to learn more, I read a ton and I don’t shy away from a hearty debate.

But for some reason, no matter how much I know it’s good for me on all sorts of levels, I am struggling to take care of my body. I have completely strayed from what I know that I need.

Going to the gym is torture for me. Last year I got into a fitness-DVD routine that I was hooked on for awhile but now if I go near the TV to put the DVD on, I have the uncontrollable urge to put my hand through the screen and choke the smiling, muscly guy who keeps telling me to push myself a little harder. I have fallen into a rut of lazing on the couch and amassing a stockpile of excuses for why I can’t exercise.

What is holding me back from doing what is good for me?

I love how I feel when I go for a long power walk, when I ride my bike with my dad, when I Zumba/laugh-my-self-silly and when I practice yoga. I feel beautiful. Strong. I feel energized and positive and like I can do anything.

When I take care of my body, I remind myself that the imperfect parts of myself serve a wonderful purpose and are really quite fantastic.

So maybe mornings aren’t for me, but it’s time to nurture Ms. Fat Booty.

I may not be climbing a mountain anytime soon, but that balanced-bliss, feeling fabulous about myself thing?

I’m ready.

Advertisements

24 Comments (+add yours?)

1. Bethany
    Feb 01, 2012 @ 23:11:06

With the exception of being able to knit, this post is really about me, isn’t it? Is this your idea of an intervention? I didn’t even bother setting my alarm early this week, just accepted I wasn’t gonna get out of bed til the last possible second. We may have big booties, but at least our eyebrows look good! Lol

2. Muneer Panjwani (@muneerpanjwani)
    Feb 01, 2012 @ 23:31:32

Thanks for the gentle nudge to take care of my body, mind, AND spirit.

3. Kat Van Matre
    Feb 01, 2012 @ 23:58:23

I think it is the winter blahs….I feel the same way: and i am off to Mexico in 3 days and am dreading being at the beach with 3 skiny (not an ounce of fat between the 3 of them) women. but then I think: what is perfect? so many women don’t eat what they want to eat, basically starve themselves, strive to be one size smaller than the next girl & constantly and seem happier when they can say ther are lighter or a size smaller than their friend (or sister in law). SO I tell you what…..work out when it fits how you feel, sleep and hit that snooze when you need to, eat another ice cream or go light on the salad dressing, DO WHAT YOU NEED TO! You are beautiful and perfect and so do not have a fat booty!!!!! And when spring hits, you know you will be out there hiking and walking and exercising…….I am going to embrace my body and thank god for inventing beach coverups!!!!!! and I LOVE THIS BLOG……

4. Nikki Rubinow
    Feb 02, 2012 @ 05:53:26

Susannah, dear — I just found this blog, and I love it!

Workouts are one thing (if you’re Jack Frew or Andrew Sieber, it’s your job) — but for most civilians, just getting moving is good enough.

I am up almost every day at 5 or 5:15 to write/work before I work out or to workout before I write/work — before heading off to Waterbury, that is.

So if you like, I can call you and call you and call you (unlike the alarm clock, you couldn’t hit the snooze button) — and I have a Marine friend (use to work for Jack when he was stationed at Westover, and now she’s in Florida) who started a program called “Moto Moms” — I can find out what curriculum she’s developed, and we could make a lesson plan for you?

Unfortunately, it’s all about discipline — but fortunately, it’s the SAME discipline that gives you that glowing, solid-but-light-at-the-same-time felling that you get from controlling (disciplining) yourself to BREATHE regularly during yoga (or hiking). It’s like this — when I got up at 5, my Blackberry said that tonight (Thursday), I was supposed to arrange to get out to the Red Rock with your Dad and Willa Jeane — but I know I have to write, so I clicked it off, and got into my lifting shoes to head downstairs and throw some weights around instead. (There will be other Thursday nights to explore the Red Rock — tonight’s my last night without Jack’s rescued dog, Cali, so I truly need to work on a decision without having the privilege of responding to barking “play with me” calls from that sweet, still-feisty but cancer-riddled dog.)

That’s the kind of decision you’ll have to make — and I’ll help you if you want?

And OF COURSE you are beautiful, and smart, and wonderful, and loving, and have the BEST sense of compassion and humor and devotion to others and UBUNTU.

Much love, and honored to be able to post this — but now the dead lifts are calling me,

Nikki

• mcglam
      Feb 02, 2012 @ 11:23:59

Nikki! Thanks for reading and for your thoughtful comments. You are an inspirational workout dynamo!!! I might have to pick your brain when I see you next. Xoxo

5. Amanda Siskind
    Feb 02, 2012 @ 06:21:13

The trick is to just get started and force yourself to build up a routine. Ounce you get in the habit, it’ll get easier to keep it up. I started setting my alarm early to work out before getting ready in the mornings, and for the first two weeks it was torture. The only thing I wanted to do was hit snooze for another 10 minutes. But if you get yourself out of bed, your body will get used to not going back to bed, and you wake up energized and soon a small set of curlups or stretches doesn’t feel like a big deal at all. (Most mornings, I basically go through the motions in my sleep, anyways. (: I do a lot of stretches and curlups, so it doesn’t require too much motion or too much standing up early in the morning.)

6. leslie pendleton
    Feb 02, 2012 @ 07:55:12

I want that question answered! Why, when it makes us feel so good, can’t we drag our asses to the gym. I don’t have nearly as hard a time dragging my ass to a restaurant that makes me feel good too. Huh? Who’s gonna answer this one?

7. Brad
    Feb 02, 2012 @ 08:14:36

There is a differance between curves and a “Fat booty”

F*** the paris hilton need to be a toothpick. Curves are good.

8. James Patsalides
    Feb 02, 2012 @ 08:24:24

What an awesome post. I think you are describing my life and so many people’s lives! I just got back from Grand Canyon backpacking and I have to tell you that the UP was BRUTAL… my body still aches, but it is AMAZING. I think the solution is to hike every day. If only I lived in Arizona – the motivator of the land is pretty compelling. CT is beautiful (don’t get me wrong), but it just doesn’t seem to have the same “hook” as the Colorado river or a 14er or such. Can’t wait for the symphony to resolve. Take care, Suze. Peace, James.

• mcglam
      Feb 02, 2012 @ 15:25:06

James, your trip sounds amazing and I hope you’ll find some joy in the local trails!! I hadn’t hiked in a while and went last month and lived it all over again. Thanks for connecting!

9. Michael McGlamery
    Feb 02, 2012 @ 09:39:31

I agree with Brad, “Curves are good!” I also agree with Nikki…all that about how beautiful, smart and wonderful you are, all true! btw, I can hook you up with a free week at Anytime Fitness, where there’s strength in numbers and showers too. Love you, Dad

10. Patrick McGlamery
    Feb 02, 2012 @ 10:02:38

I HATE going to the gym too! But I LOVE leaving the gym after a good work out. I mean, I really LOVE it. And so, somehow I have made it a habit to get to the gym and, finding myself there, I work out. I have put together a sweet little circuit that is efficient and crisp and I’m done. A little “stop & chat” with the gym sangha (that is key too. Buddy system, social group, whatever… human) and I’m on my way. I think it is the habit thing. And I cannot, consistently, do it at home. I have to cross the threshold.

Keep testing and finding the right mix for you, its there. And while I agree about the curves, you know how you felt in the Andes and how you want the same energy. The truth is, if you didn’t have that in your 20s you weren’t living. So, what is the potential energy for your body NOW.

Love you,

Uncle Pat

11. Carla Ten Eyck
    Feb 03, 2012 @ 12:14:48

what a great post to read as I am struggling to catch my breath after walking up ONE flight of stairs. BOOM. xo

share your insights, ideas and inspiration!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s